Are you a young leader from Africa? You could attend the One Young World Summit 2022 in Tokyo from 16 - 19 May via our flagship Scholarship.
About the Leading Africa Scholarship:
The Leading Africa Scholarship is an initiative designed to ensure that outstanding young people from Africa are represented at the One Young World Summit 2022 in Tokyo.
Africa is host to the largest population of young people in the world, with over 60% of its population under the age of 25. With 72% of its labour force in “vulnerable” employment and several countries experiencing challenges of governance and violent extremism, the Fourth Industrial Revolution could provide a lifeline to this young, eager population. Given their sheer numbers, they have the ability to transform their regions, whether it be in governance, energy, infrastructure, medicine and beyond.
In the midst of these challenges and opportunities, it is young leaders who are devising meaningful strategies to build a more sustainable region. Are you one of those leaders? If so, One Young World is looking to bring you to the next annual Summit.
What does the Leading Africa sponsorship pay for?
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2022 in Tokyo, Japan.
- Hotel accommodation between 15 and 19 May 2022.
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Summit handouts and support materials.
- The cost of travel to and from Tokyo. Your flight to and from Tokyo must depart from and return to one and the same international airport.
Please note that if you are ultimately selected for a Scholarship and require a visa to enter Japan to attend the One Young World Summit 2022, you will be required to pay the visa fee yourself. The visa costs 22 GBP plus the applicable service charge of your local visa application centre. The costs of the visa and the applicable service charge as well as any further costs associated with the visa application (including travel to and from the visa application centre) fall on you as the participant.
Are you eligible?
You are eligible for sponsorship if you:
- Are between the ages of 18 - 30*
- Have an evidenced commitment to delivering positive change
- Demonstrate capacity for leadership
- Are addressing key local and/or global issues in your work
- Have a track record of generating impactful and innovative ideas
- Are a national (passport holding citizen) of one of the countries listed below:
|Burkina Faso||Burundi||Cameroon||Cape Verde|
|Central African Republic||Chad||Comoros||Congo, The Democratic Republic of the|
|Congo, The Republic of the||Cote d'Ivoire||Djibouti||Egypt|
|Equatorial Guinea||Eritrea||Ethiopia||eSwatini, Kingdom of|
|Libya, State of||Madagascar||Malawi||Mali|
|Sao Tome and Principe||Senegal||Seychelles||Sierra Leone|
|Somalia||South Africa||South Sudan||Sudan|
|Tanzania, United Republic of||Togo||Tunisia||Uganda|
*Most delegates are between the age of 18 and 30. The One Young World team will consider applications from those who are older than 30, pending demonstration of appropriate personal impact, initiative, and willingness to engage. We are not able to accept applications from those who will be aged under 18 at the time of the Summit.
The selection process:
The strongest applicants will be shortlisted by the end of January. You will be contacted individually by a member of the One Young World team if you have been shortlisted.
- We cannot guarantee any applicant that they will be shortlisted or that we will secure sponsorship for any shortlisted applicant.
- Priority will be given to applicants from countries that have been less represented at previous One Young World Summits.
- Priority will also be given to first-time Summit attendees (not OYW Ambassadors).
- Due to the overwhelming amount of applications we receive, One Young World is unable to respond to individual emails enquiring about the outcome of the Leading Africa selection process.
- We do not provide feedback as to why candidates are not selected.
What could the 'Leading Scholarship' mean for you?
Gain greater visibility for your work & be heard by world renowned experts and leaders
Tap into a global network of potential collaborators from 196 countries
Gain access to exclusive Ambassador opportunities, such as speaking events
Learn more about what sets One Young World apart from other leadership forums here.