We're proud to partner with @IncludeMeTOO to strengthen the inclusion, participation & voices of young people with disabilities. Stay tuned for more info to apply & nominate someone to attend #OYW2018! #GlobalDisabilitySummit #IncludeMeTOO pic.twitter.com/F3LxGYgdIM
— One Young World (@OneYoungWorld) July 27, 2018
About the Scholarship
There are over 1 billion people in the world living with some form of a disability - that's 15% of the world's population, or 1 in 7 of us. This group is chronically underrepresented at every level.
One Young World is proud to announce The 1 in 7 Scholarship in partnership with Include Me TOO which will support 5 of the world’s most inspiring and impactful leaders in the disability space to participate in the One Young World Summit 2018 which takes place in The Hague, Netherlands from 17 - 20 October.
About Include Me TOO
Include Me TOO is a charity working locally nationally and internationally with disabled children young people and their families supporting their rights, inclusion, participation and representation from a diverse range of backgrounds.
The charity supports and promotes social justice, equality and rights for all disabled children and young people. Include Me TOO provides a range of support services including peer support, befriending services, activities and holiday clubs for disabled children, outreach and information and advice. The charity advises on policy, disability equality, diversity, inclusion and rights, nationally and internationally.
Include Me TOO are behind the National Charter Of Rights for Disabled Children & Young People which was signed and supported by several national charities, government departments, government ministers, the Prime Minister in 2008 including consecutive Prime Ministers.
They celebrated their 10th anniversary this year during the 2018 Commonwealth Heads of Government held in London. They organised the first ever Commonwealth Disabled Youth Roundtable event as part of the ‘Commonwealth Include Me 2’ joint project led by Include Me TOO with the Commonwealth Youth Council to increase the inclusion, rights and participation for disabled children and young people from the Commonwealth. Include Me TOO developed and delivered on the Global Disability Summit Children and Youth Programme in partnership with UK Department for International Development, International Disability Alliance and British Council ensuring disabled children and young people’s had the opportunity to have their say and be included on issues that matter to them.
Information on the charity can be found at www.includemetoo.org.uk
What does the scholarship include?
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2018 in The Hague, Netherlands
- Hotel accommodation on a shared basis between 17 October and 20 October
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Summit hand-outs and support materials.
- The cost of travel to and from The Hague.
Who can apply?
- Most delegates are between the age of 18 and 30. The One Young World team will consider applications from those who are older than 30, pending demonstration of appropriate personal impact, initiative, and willingness to engage. We are not able to accept applications from those who will be aged under 18 at the time of the Summit.
- Identify as having a disability
Successful candidates will excel in the following areas:
- Evidenced commitment to supporting the equality and rights for disabled persons
- Leadership ability
- Concern for local or global issues
- Ability to generate and articulate impactful ideas