As a longstanding partner of One Young World, DSM is proud to provide the Resources & Circularity Scholarship in light of the 2019 Summit in London. Our purpose is to create brighter lives for people today and generations to come. We connect our unique competencies in Life Sciences and Material Sciences to create solutions that nourish, protect and improve performance.
With the Resources & Circularity Scholarship DSM will offer three scholarships to young leaders around the world, who are working to further the transition from a linear to a circular and/or bio-based economy.
The scholarship focuses on DSM’s purpose-driven domain, Resources & Circularity. DSM’s ambition is to safeguard the future availability of natural resources, and to unlock more value from the limited resources that are available. In order to reach this two-fold goal, DSM focuses on five circularity drivers to design and manufacture its solutions:
- Reduce the use of critical resources
- Replace scarce, hazardous and potentially harmful resources with renewable and safer alternatives
- Extend the lifetime of products
- Design for recyclability
- Recover waste streams
What does the Scholarship provide?
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2019 in London, United Kingdom
- The cost of travel to and from London (economy flights only)
- Hotel accommodation on a shared basis from 21-25 October inclusive
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner, during these days
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue
- Summit hand-outs and support materials
- Participation in DSM’s internal on-boarding program, both online and face to face prior to the Summit, which includes mentorship with DSM senior experts
If you are selected, you are invited by DSM to participate in a pre program at the DSM headquarters in the Netherlands.
Please note that the pre-program will run from Saturday 19 until Tuesday 22 October. Furthermore, you will have a debriefing day after the summit on Saturday 26 of October. More information will be given to you in due time.
Who should apply?
In line with DSM’s ambition to enable the transition to a circular and bio-based economy, this scholarship seeks to support young leaders and entrepreneurs who are making an impact on circularity and addressing resources with their ideas, start-up companies, or other projects and initiatives. Preferably they have 3-5 years of experience in the field.
Specifically, the scholarship seeks candidates who are making a positive impact on accelerating the transition towards a circular and/or bio-based economy in one (or more) of the following ways:
- Materials innovation & design: redesigning, or designing new materials by addressing any one (or more) of DSM’s five circularity drivers as outlined above - Reduce, Replace, Extend, Design, Recover
- Entrepreneurship: contributing to circularity by implementing new business models in the following markets: Buildings (including interior) & construction, Textiles, Heavy Marine & Fishing industry, Electronics, Automotive, Food packaging, 3D printing
- Advocacy and shaping opinions: raising awareness and having a leading voice in the transition towards a circular & bio-based economy
- Clean up initiatives: driving clean up initiatives on waste, by not only cleaning up but also by viewing waste as a resource
- Digitalization: using new technologies to support radical transparency, and to keep materials at their highest utility and value
Candidates must be:
- Aged 18 – 30
- Young leaders from non-profit, community organizations or social enterprises
- Nationals of all countries will be eligible to apply for this scholarship
Please note that you will be unable to save your responses in the submission form. With this in mind, we recommend saving your responses first in an offline document before submitting your application.
Tips for applying: check out our helpful guidelines for submitting a successful application.