The One Young World South African Local Organising Committee (LOC) will once again sponsor the Leading South Africa Award, offering young South African leaders the opportunity to participate in One Young World Summit 2018, The Hague.
Successful candidates will be current residents of South Africa, aged 18 to 30, and demonstrate commitment to creating positive change in a rural or disadvantaged community in South Africa. The focus will be on innovative solutions to human rights challenges, basic services, access to education and employment opportunities, or addressing corruption. This commitment can come in many forms, ranging from community initiatives to social entrepreneurship to public service.
The finalists will present at an event in Johannesburg in July to an audience and judging panel who will announce the winners (date to be confirmed).
The scholarship follows a similar initiative in 2017 where Farai Mubaiwa and Shivad Singh were sent to Bogotá, Colombia. This year, the LOC invites other individuals and businesses to sponsor additional finalists as part of this scholarship opportunity. Places are not limited, so please contact us to partner and send more deserving young leaders to the Summit or to champion a young leader you know or work with.
"One Young World is more than an annual youth conference. It is an opportunity to network with passionate change-makers around the globe, collaborate on ideas and projects to maximise social impact, and share platforms with experienced change-makers who provide mentorship. The Leading South Africa scholarship opened this door for me and my life has never been the same. From sharing a platform with Advocate Thuli Madonsela, to expanding the reach of Africa Matters and being part of a network of driven and active youth, this is an incredible award to receive."
Farai Mubaiwa, 2017 scholarship recipient
“It was a dream come true to attend the One Young World Summit on a scholarship. The summit expanded my views on topics such as tackling poverty and climate change. I was able to meet (and take pictures) with Nobel Prize Winner, Mohammed Yunus, and CEO's of world-leading organizations. Most importantly, I was able to develop life-long relationships with the world's most amazing young people!" Shivad Singh, 2017 scholarship recipient
What does the scholarship include?
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2018 in The Hague, The Netherlands.
- Hotel accommodation on a shared basis between 17 October and 20 October.
- Catering which includes breakfast on 18, 19, 20, 21 October, lunch on 18, 19, 20 October and dinner on 17, 18, 19 and 20 October.
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue and airport transfers.
- Summit hand-outs and support materials.
- Sponsored return flights to and from The Hague or Amsterdam.
Who can apply?
- Aged 18 – 30.
- A current resident of South Africa, with a plan to remain for the foreseeable future. You will be asked for proof and references – please do not apply if you are studying or living abroad!
- A first time applicant (not a One Young World Ambassador already).
Successful candidates will excel in the following areas:
- Evidenced commitment to creating positive change in a rural or disadvantaged community in South Africa. Specific areas of impact should include human rights, basic services, access to education and employment opportunities, or addressing corruption. This commitment can come in many forms; ranging from a high level of involvement in community initiatives to social entrepreneurship or from leading responsible business practices to public service.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Concern for local and related global issues.
- Ability to generate and articulate impactful ideas.
- Demonstrated teamwork.
- Be able to highlight why youth are so critical for the future of South Africa and Africa.
How can I apply?