Across East Africa, millions of children and families are facing starvation due to extreme and persistent drought and instability. Famine has already been declared in areas of South Sudan and Somalia is at critical risk of slipping into this state. Severe food shortages are also occurring
In response to this crisis, One Young World Ambassador Jerome Jarre has created a movement to rally immediate relief for those with immediate needs, starting with Somalia. Jerome started a crowdfunding campaign which raised $2.5 million in 24 days. These funds will be used to purchase food and water in Somalia which will be distributed to children and families in urgent need. Jerome and the Love Army for Somalia have partnered with the American Refugee Committee, whose experience delivering aid in Somalia will ensure the supplies purchased will be delivered effectively and responsibly.
To support these efforts, One Young World is providing the Love Army for Somalia Scholarship which will enable one young leader working in Somalia to participate in the forthcoming One Young World Summit in Bogotá, Colombia. The scholarship is intended for a young leader aged 18 – 30 who is playing an impactful role in relief efforts on the ground and whose work will help to prevent future crises in the country. We hope attending the Summit will give the recipient the opportunity to build an international network of allies who will help them amplify and expand their vital work.
What does the scholarship provide?
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2017 in Bogotá, Colombia
- Hotel accommodation on a shared basis between 4 October and 7 October
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Summit hand-outs and support materials.
- The cost of travel to and from Bogotá.
To be eligible to apply you must be:
- Aged 18 – 30
- A resident of Somalia
- Be actively involved in efforts to relieve and prevent food shortages in Somalia.
How can I apply?
Complete the application form linked below by 15 June 2017.