One Young World, the global forum for young leaders, and Private Drama Events, storyteller and creator of luxury experiences, have today revealed the stars performing in this year’s One Young World Opening Ceremony, to be staged in the historical Royal Albert Hall on 22 October 2019, tackling this year’s themes and global issues of diversity, inclusivity and sustainability.
More than 200 performers from a range of backgrounds will open One Young World London 2019 to the soundtrack of “London’s Calling” by The Clash, choreographed by Nikki Trow. The performances on the night will serve to highlight the platform that One Young World provides to young leaders across the globe to identify, promote and connect, to accelerate social impact.
The One Young World 2019 Summit will return to London, United Kingdom, for its 10th anniversary edition. Taking place on 22-25 October 2019, the Summit will be the most international event the UK has hosted since the Olympic & Paralympic Games in 2012.
The headlining acts for the One Young World Opening Ceremony 2019 include:
- Jay Sean - The multi-million selling and platinum award-winning British-Asian singer, songwriter and international R&B megastar.
- Everybody’s Talking About Jamie – Lead Layton Williams and the awarding-winning cast from the hit musical sensation about overcoming prejudice, breaking down barriers and stepping out of the darkness to become a drag queen.
- Francesca Chiejina – Graduate of The Royal Opera House’s Jette Parker Young Artists Programme and leading black female soprano will sing the National Anthem.
- Fernando Montano – The Royal Ballet’s award-winning soloist and cleaner oceans campaigner.
- Yaroslava Trofymchuk – The international and award-winning cellist with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and graduate of The Royal College of Music.
- Michelle John – 2017 The Voice finalist, standout vocalist and back-up singer for the Eric Clapton Band.
- DJ Emma Conybeare – Infectious, international Sports Entertainment Presenter and Celebrity DJ.
- Tommy Stewart – Singer, songwriter and winner of “Best Demo of the Year” at Glastonbury 2019 will perform “London’s Calling”.
- Raymond Anum – Recent RADA graduate and currently appearing at the Coronet Theatre London will perform Shakespeare’s “All the world’s a stage”.
- Tansy Aked - one of the UK’s leading stage, film and television musical directors.
- Guilford School of Acting, National Centre for Circus Arts and The Brit School – Young dancers, circus artists and musicians from the UK’s leading and world-renowned performance schools.
British Actor and Producer, Warwick Davis, has also been confirmed as the master of ceremonies for the event.
Ella Robertson, Managing Director International, One Young World commented, “London is one of the most diverse cities in the world with a strong heritage, and a leader in the creative industries – we are extremely proud to have a line-up that is reflective of our city.
“Private Drama Events has brought together an incredible line up of creative talent from the worlds of music, dance and performance, shining a light on London’s increasing focus on diversity, inclusivity and sustainability.
“The audience is set for an unforgettable experience and we are excited to show everyone what can be achieved together!”
Adam Blackwood, Founder and Creative Director Private Drama Events added, “Private Drama Events is incredibly proud to bring together a world-class community of performers to the One Young World Opening Ceremony event. Each performance reflects London’s rich cultural heritage, weaving together our shared values of inclusivity and diversity where, despite all the political noise, we can come together to celebrate our young creative leaders of the future. London’s Calling!”
The Opening Ceremony will be directed by Adam Blackwood and has been conceived and produced by the Private Drama Events team.
Leading UK sustainable fashion designer Patrick McDowell will dress all performers in 100% sustainable costumes using only reclaimed fabrics and organic materials.
One Young World 2019 Summit partner @privatedramaevents has launched a #SustainableFashion collaboration with British Fashion Designer, @patrick__mcdowell, who will produce 200 costumes for performing artists at the #OYW2019 Opening Ceremony using reclaimed fabrics. The idea was to design a ‘look’ that captured the spirit and diversity of the young London ensemble, and to contribute to the changes being made to the British fashion industry by young people.” A strong advocate for reducing fashion’s global impact through designing with moral practice, Patrick's designs are crafted from organic yarns and ethical materials in England. Less than six weeks to go until #OYW2019