The OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) is the development finance institution established by the Member States of OPEC in 1976 as a channel of aid to the developing countries. OFID works in cooperation with developing country partners and the international donor community to stimulate economic growth and alleviate poverty in all disadvantaged regions of the world. It does this by providing financing to build essential infrastructure, strengthen social services delivery and promote productivity, competitiveness and trade. OFID’s work is people-centered, focusing on projects that meet basic needs - such as food, energy, clean water and sanitation, healthcare and education – with the aim of encouraging self-reliance and inspiring hope for the future.
OFID is a long standing supporter of One Young World and has enabled more than 150 young leaders to participate in the One Young World Summit since 2011.
This year OFID will sponsor 16 young leaders (including five Colombian nationals who also reside in Colombia) who are active in international development to participate in the One Young World Summit 2017 which takes place in Bogotá, Colombia from 4 - 7 October.
To learn more about OFID and its activities please visit: www.ofid.org.
What does the scholarship include?
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2017 in Bogotá, Colombia
- Hotel accommodation on a shared basis between 4 October and 7 October
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Summit hand-outs and support materials.
- The cost of travel to and from Colombia.
Who can apply?
In order to apply you must be:
- Aged 18 – 30
- A national of one of the listed eligible countries. Click here to view list.
- Please note that five of the places available are reserved for Colombian nationals who also reside in Colombia.
|Afghanistan||Albania||Angola||Antigua and Barbuda|
|Cambodia||Cameroon||Cape Verde||Central African Republic|
|Congo D.R.||Congo Republic||Costa Rica||Cote d'Ivoire|
|Egypt||El Salvador||Equatorial Guinea||Eritrea|
|Korea DPR||Kosovo||Kyrgyz Republic||Lao PDR|
|Panama||Papua New Guinea||Paraguay||Peru|
|Philippines||Rwanda||Samoa||Sao Tome and Principe|
|Senegal||Seychelles||Sierra Leone||Solomon Islands|
|Somalia||Sri Lanka||St. Kitts and Nevis||St. Lucia|
|St. Vincent and the Grenadines||Sudan||Suriname||Swaziland|
Successful candidates will excel in the following areas:
- Evidenced commitment to the sustainable development of their country. This commitment can come in many forms; ranging from a high level of involvement in community initiatives to social entrepreneurship or from leading responsible business practices to public service.
- Leadership ability
- Concern for local or global issues
- Ability to generate and articulate impactful ideas
How to apply
Submit an online application in English before midnight GMT 20 June.
Application deadline: 20 June 2017