Women play a significant role in the blue economy, yet their input rarely receives the support, recognition and publicity it deserves. In light of their crucial work in areas such as conservation, scientific discovery and technological development, why are women so often overlooked? This competition aims to showcase leading female changemakers working to develop business solutions to achieve ocean-related sustainability.
- A complimentary pass to attend the World Ocean Summit in Tokyo, Japan from 9 - 10 March 2020 (including travel expenses) for each of the three finalists
- An opportunity to present their ideas to the World Ocean Summit audience on a dedicated main-stage session on March 9th 2020
- Mentoring from a high-profile female ocean leader, who will work with you over a 12-month period to help refine your ideas and shape your leadership skills
A panel of judges from the World Ocean Initiative will review the videos and select a shortlist of 12 entrants. The videos of the shortlisted applicants will be posted on the World Ocean Initiative website and social media channels (#oceanwomen). Applicants will be judged according to how well their ideas meet the following criteria:
- Impact on blue economy: clear link with sustainable development of the ocean
- Innovative: original idea—or clear improvement on existing idea—focused on progress
- Viable: should be feasible in the medium to long-term
- Scalable: can be scaled up and applied in different contexts
- Investable: offers opportunities for growth
Any questions, please email [email protected].
Deadline: 20 January 2020
About The World Ocean Summit:
The World Ocean Summit will bring together a global group of policymakers, business and civil society leaders, investors, scientists and entrepreneurs to debate and develop new ideas on how to decouple economic growth from ocean degradation. How can we build a new - truly blue - ocean agenda?