Robert Jakobi

CEO - Metcalfe's Food Company Ltd

[[[image-0 native]]]

Robert is a food entrepreneur. He is founder and largest individual shareholder in BOU and the former CEO and co-owner of Metcalfe’s skinny and Metcalfe’s Food Company.

Robert grew up in London. He moved to the US for College and studied at Duke University as a freshman before transferring to the University of Pennsylvania where he graduated in May 2007. After graduation, Robert joined Barclays Capital in New York as an analyst, and then returned to London in 2008 where he continued his career at Barclays Capital.

In March 2009, whilst still working in finance, Robert decided to launch a chocolate and yoghurt edamame range under the brand name Pod bites in the UK. In an effort to have his Pod bites range stocked in itsu and Pret, Robert sent samples to both retail outlets for consideration and it was this move that captured the attention of their Founder Julian Metcalfe. With an eye for new products, Julian was impressed with Robert’s innovative range and arranged a meeting to learn more. The meeting led to the launch of Metcalfe’s Food Company in October 2010.

Robert’s business and financial leadership were integral to the success of Metcalfe’s Food Company. The Company enjoyed a compound annual growth rate of over 200% in revenues between 2011 and 2014 and reached fourth place on the Sunday Times Fast Track 100 list in December 2014 - a first for a company in the food industry. It was the fastest-growing, privately-owned food and drink company in the UK.

In September 2015, Robert and his partner, Julian Metcalfe spun Metcalfe’s skinny out of Metcalfe’s Food Company. At the time, Metcalfe’s skinny was the UK’s leading premium popcorn brand. In January 2016, Julian and Robert sold a 26% stake in Metcalfe’s skinny to Diamond Foods (then the owner of Kettle Chips). In September 2016, the new owner of Kettle Chips, Snyder’s, acquired the remaining 74% of the business, a deal that will ensure the brand’s growth potential is maximised in the UK and Europe.

In January 2016 Robert launched a new food business called BOU in partnership with the largest bouillon cube manufacturer in the US. BOU, the better for you bouillon cube, will reinvigorate a stale yet commonly used cooking ingredient. BOU is a range of delicious bouillon cubes made with 100% natural ingredients. BOU will be the only brand in the market which is 100% all natural and gluten free and contain 30% less salt than all other bouillon brands. They also use real vegetables and meat. BOU will be available from March 2017 online and from April 2017 in retailers.