Over half of the world’s population is under the age of 30. This new generation is the most informed, most educated, most connected generation in human history. The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development emphasizes young people as “critical agents of change.” And they’re already leading change, working to help progress the 17 Sustainable Development Goals in countries around the globe.
The theme of this year’s International Youth Day (IYD) is “Safe Spaces for Youth.” It calls for creating “safe spaces where they can come together, engage in activities related to their diverse needs and interests, participate in decision making processes and freely express themselves.”
Ahead of IYD, One Young World and SDSN Youth would like to invite the global community to discuss the solutions led by young people to tackle some of the world’s biggest issues and bring about positive change.
Date: 10 August, 2018
Time: 10:00 EDT / 15:00 BST / 16:00 CEST
More than half of the world’s population is under the age of 30. How can we better tap into the potential of young people?— One Young World (@OneYoungWorld) August 2, 2018
Explore with us and @SDSNYouth ahead of #YouthDay on August 10 (10 EDT/ 15 BST) with the hashtag #IYD2018 pic.twitter.com/fxExj3ULkV
Questions we will be addressing:
- Q1: #Agenda2030 emphasizes that young people are “critical agents of change.” Why do young people play such an important role in advancing the #GlobalGoals? #IYD2018
- Q2: Based on your experience as a young person or working w/ young people, do you feel their opinion is less likely to be respected because of age? #YouthDay #IYD2018
- Q3: How can we empower youth voices so that people actually respect and listen to them? #YouthDay #IYD2018
- Q4: The @UN 2018 theme for #YouthDay is #safespaces4youth. How can we ensure young people can participate in decision making processes and freely express themselves? #IYD2018
- Q5: Are there any #YouthSolutions out there which deserve to be featured by @SDSNYouth? Tag them and let us know! #IYD2018
- Q6: Do you know any amazing young leaders who should join us in The Hague this October for #OYW2018? Tag them & let us know! #IYD2018
- Q7: What are the biggest obstacles faced by young people in having their voices heard? How can we tackle them? #YouthDay #IYD2018
- Q8: Of all the young leaders out there, who inspires you the most? Ahead of #YouthDay on Sunday, tell us who they are & give them a shout out @ing them! #IYD2018