Climate change is endangering planetary health: what can we do to protect it?
When: Wednesday 4th September, 6:30pm - 10pm
Where: British Museum, BP Lecture Theatre, London
Climate change poses one of the greatest challenges of our time, and the compounded effects threaten both the natural habitat, and our society. We are already seeing the extent of the impacts, which are complex and interconnected, and which are global in reach and span social, economic and environmental challenges. We are seeing increasing ocean acidification, coastal erosion, extreme weather conditions, increased frequency and severity of natural disasters, continuing land degradation, loss of vital species and the collapse of ecosystems. These effects, which will render many parts of the globe uninhabitable, will affect the poor the most. They will put food production at risk, leading to widespread food shortages and hunger, and potentially displace populations. The clock for taking decisive actions on climate change is ticking.
Join us for a special One Young World Caucus, jointly hosted by BP and PwC, as we discuss the role of corporations in tackling the threat of climate change. Doors will open at 6:30pm for registration, with the event commencing officially at 6.45pm. After the introductions and a keynote speech from Will Day, Sustainability Advisor to PwC, there will be an interactive panel discussion, featuring leaders from a range of different backgrounds and experience. The speakers will explore how we all can make a difference tackling the climate emergency, using their personal stories as examples to inspire action from the audience. Afterwards there will be a networking session from 9pm-10pm, where refreshments will be provided.
- Will Day - Sustainability Advisor to PwC and part of Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership
- Akira Kirton - BP Commerical Director and former Managing Director of BP Ventures
- Ronit Kanwar - CEO of Empower Energy and Lead2030 Prize Winner
- Bridget Jackson - Chief Sustainability Officer at PwC
- Danielle Crompton - Sustainability Coordinator: Environment and Social Impact at Waitrose & Partners, and OYW Ambassador
- Emily Revess - Head Of Sector at Prime Minister's Office and Cabinet Office
- Angela Mae Minas - Researcher at Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research