This year, International Women’s Day comes at a time of remarkable progress for women’s rights around the world. However, this progress is occurring much too slowly. Many questions surrounding gender equality still remain unanswered - we’ve asked young leaders from all corners of the world to shed light on the unresolved matters holding back progress.
Join @OneYoungWorld as we discuss them alongside leading organisations, experts and young leaders making striking progress toward gender equality, including @EuropeAid, OYW Peace Ambassadors, @GirlsNotBrides, @EDDYoungLeaders, @GirlUp, @GlobalGoalsCast, @GirlEffect, @UNLEASHlab, @DalbergTweet, @Plus_SocialGood, @Sustainia, @UNYouthEnvoy & others.
Date: 8 March, 2018
Time: 10:00 ET / 15:00 GMT / 16:00 CET
[tweetable] What’s holding back progress on gender equality? Join us, @OneYoungWorld, @EuropeAid and others for a conversation on 8 March at 10am ET/ 4pm CET #All4SDG5 #IWD2018[/tweetable].
Questions will cover three core areas, which link back to the three themes of the European Development Days 2018:
- Strengthening voices: women’s and girls’ human rights, women and girls in power and decision-making, rural women and girls in development
- Protecting integrity: gender-based violence, adolescent girls and the girl child
- Promoting rights: women and girls in the economy, gender equality in education
Questions we will be addressing:
- If you had to pick one, what would you say is the main cause of global gender inequality?
- Which region (and country) of the world is the worst in terms of gender equality, and why?
- How can we involve men in preventing gender-based violence?
- If governments don't encourage women and girls to build their own livelihoods, what should we do?
- How can we foster networking and exchange best practices among gender equality advocates around the world?
- In what fields do we see girls being neglected? Why don't they receive as much attention on a global level?
- Is positive discrimination of gender, such as quotas and gender-based subsidies, undermining the overall goal of gender equality?
- How can we challenge the stereotypes that exist in society toward gender-specific roles?
- How can we ensure we tap into their potential, so they're not left behind?
- What will it take to end child marriage?
- Why has feminism become such an unpopular word?