1. Charif Hamidi, Morocco, was in the news as a nominee for the Global Teacher Prize
Charif Hamidi has been nominated for the prestigious $1 million Global Teacher Prize 2019. The nomination acknowledges Hamidi's efforts to give a quality education to underprivildged children in Morocco.
2. Fatima Zaman, United Kingdom, spoke at the Obama Foundation Summit about her role as a counter-extremist
Fatima Zaman, founder of extremely together, spoke about her childhood experience of witnessing the 7/7 bombings in London and her subsequent work to deradicalise vulnerable members of society. Click below to watch her full talk:
3. Sophie Kanza, DRC, was elected to the African Rising for Justice, Peace and Dignity Coordinating Committee
Sophie Kanza has become part of a comittee of 9 elected officials from across the continent and diaspora.
4. Jerome Cowans, Jamaica, named winner at the 2019 Caribbean Summit on Youth Violence Prevention
Jerome Cowans, part of Team Jamaica, won the highlights Research and Strategic Management Solutions Award.
5. Sarah Mwakali, Kenya, was appointed as a National Member of the International Youth Alliance for Family Planning
Sarah Mwakali was also awarded a certificate of Superior Performance.
2019 seems really a good year.— Mwikali (@sarahambitious1) January 16, 2019
Appointed a National Member for International Youth Alliance for Family Planning, and awarded a Certificate of Superior Performance.
I am a proud @OneYoungWorld And @IncludeMeTOO Ambassador. pic.twitter.com/GU4KRu5zln
6. Maen Aloquili, Jordan, given award for raising awareness for cancer by HRH Princess Ghida Tala
Maen won the best social media campaign award for his work raising awareness of cancer and the dangers of smoking.
7. Jemima Lovatt, United Kingdom, successfully helped to change domestic abuse policy in the UK
Jemima Lovatt, as chair of the OYW working group on Domestic Voilence, collaborated with Stand Tall and together were key contributers to the draft Domestic Abuse Bill.
To read more about her work and the draft Domestic Abuse Bill, click here.
8. Yasmeen Mjalli, United States, was featured on Marie Claire Arabia
Marie Claire shared Yasmeen's powerful anti-sexual harassment printed t-shirt designs.
STOP SEXUAL HARASSMENT! Palestinian Designer Yasmeen Mjalli sends out powerful messages through printed T-shirts aiming to make the world a better place for all women out there. #linkinbio لا للتحرّش! مصمّمة الأزياء الفلسطينيّة ياسمين مجلّي تبعث رسائل داعمة عبر هذه القمصان، في خطوة لجعل العالم مكان أفضل لجميع النساء. Image Courtesy: @babyfist_
9. Julius Karl D. Fieve has been named one of 50 most influential young Ghanians
Honored to be named, one of 50 Most Influential Young Ghanaians out of a youth population of over 21 million. I owe this to my people, friends, and organizations such as @OneYoungWorld , @TheRCSAfrica , @YALINetwork , @kectil, @avance_media etc.@MastercardFdn , @ProjectPakati pic.twitter.com/vWP4nEwQdY— JULIUS KARL D. FIEVE (@fievedugboerkar) January 17, 2019